The following are from the Theosophical Glossary unless otherwise noted or placed in square brackets.
Aztec. [A civilization that flourished in central Mexico] “The Aztecs appeared in more than one way to have resembled the ancient Egyptians in civilization and refinement. Among both peoples magic or the arcane natural philosophy was cultivated to the highest degree.” (Isis Unveiled 1:560)
Incas (Peruvian) The name given to the creative gods in the Peruvian theogony, and later to the rulers of the country. “The Incas, seven in number have repeopled the earth after the Deluge,” Coste makes them say (I. iv., p.19). They belonged at the beginning of the fifth Root-race to a dynasty of divine kings, such as those of Egypt, India and Chaldea.
Olmec. [The earliest known major Mesoamerican civilization.]
Popol Vuh. The Sacred Books of the Guatemalians. Quiché MSS., discovered by Brasseur de Bourbourg.
Quetzo-Cohuatl (Mex.) The serpent-god in the Mexican Scriptures and legends. His wand and other “land-marks” show him to be some great Initiate of antiquity, who received the name of “Serpent” on account of his wisdom, long life and powers. To this day the aboriginal tribes of Mexico call themselves by the names of various reptiles, animals and birds.
Zuni. The name of a certain tribe of Western American Indians, a very ancient remnant of a still more ancient race. (see Secret Doctrine, II., p. 628.)
The Popul Vuh
The Popol Vuh: Sacred Book of the Quiché Maya People by Allen J Christenson
Popul Vuh: Literal Translation by Allen J Christenson
The Book of the People: Popul Vuh by Delia Goetz and Sylvanus Griswold Morley (from Adrián Recino’s translation from Quiché into Spanish)
Popul Vuh: The Mayan Book of the Dawn of Life by Dennis Tedlock
Selected Articles, Commentaries, etc.
- A Land of Mystery
- American Indian Vision Quest
- An Important Message from the Kogi Elders
- Ancient America
- Autumn Equinox at the World Quarter Shrine
- Aztec Calendar Stone
- Children of the Rainbow
- Ciphers and Civilizations
- Continuous Journey to the Sun
- Death and the Tree of Life
- Holy Wind, Holy Spirit
- House of the Great Kiva: Astronomical Observations
- I, The Great Mystery
- Karma in the Oglala Indian Tradition
- Monster Slayer’s Hero Quest—the Navaho Way
- Sources of Early American Civilization
- South Corner Time: Excavations and Sunrise Observations at Indian Racetrack
- The Children of the Sun
- The Early Races in the Popol Vuh
- The Feathered-Serpent
- The Guatemalan Secret Doctrine
- The Maya Creation Story
- The Popol Vuh
- The Theosophy of Ancient America
- Theosophy among the Hopi
- Those Mysterious Maya?
- Where Did the ‘Americans’ Come From?
- Wisdom Teachings of the Hopi
- [Review:] The Mayan Popol Vuh